Wednesday, April 23, 2014


I have a problem. I can't stop being decorative.  I have an accredited educational background in fine art and should know better than to be "simply" crafty or decorative. There seems to be something so disposable about it. And it's also a decidedly feminine activity. Coincidence?  Regardless, I have had to spend the last 10 years of my life willfully resisting the need to unnecessarily embellish, in the name of being taken seriously. I have attempted to smite the "afterthought", and have tried to ignore my instincts to decorate, and instead dig deeper into my artistic practice in search of what i'm "really trying to say".......and I have failed. Or have I? I have come to the realization that no matter how hard I try, I just can't stop! Maybe it IS what i'm trying to say. I live in a world that cuts every corner and always wants to know the bottom line. And I've realized that tying a bow on it is a reminder that no matter how practical or serious I try to be, there's a level of me that just wants things to be pretty. Why is this so wrong!? Is it escapist? maybe. But I no longer care.



i can't stop.














yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment